The Long, Long Way Home. April 7 & 8, 2016.
The way I travelled home definitely wasn’t the most efficient. There are non-stop flights from Auckland to San Francisco or Los Angeles that take about 12 hours. But I got an award ticket using miles so it was almost free. Here is what I did:
– 5.5 hours bus Taupo to Auckland
– 3 hours in the airport
– 4 hr flight Auckland to Melbourne
– 10 layover in Melbourne airport
– 15 hour flight Melbourne to LAX
– 3 hours in LAX
– 2 hour flight LAX to Sacramento
– 2 hour bus, light rail and 2 mile walk to my house.
That’s 34.5 hours. Every leg was on time. The absolutely best part was that I got to fly Business First from Melbourne to LAX. That is a first for me. That part was wonderful and now I am ruined forever.
South Island summary, final thoughts, gear list and reviews are coming……